Here is a little personal confession from me – I am a work at home mom. Now please don’t assume that I am not qualified to do anything else. I choose to stay at home while my children are in school. I find that there is sometimes a bias against work at home moms and most of it seems to come from other women.
I actually left a six figure income to stay at home. I know crazy talk, but with three children, things were getting a little nuts and I wanted to be able to attend school functions, basketball and soccer games and chaperone class trips. I get to do that all now.
However, I also like to keep my mind active and functioning and let me tell you, cleaning the bathrooms doesn’t activate your mind! I started a work at home website and then got into blogging.
Blogging is a great business idea for stay at home moms. Granted, you will probably not become John Chow overnight, but I made about $5,000 last year just from blogging. If you are interested in getting started blogging, follow these important rules:
- Find your niche. Don’t assume that your niche is family or parenting or staying at home. There are a lot of blogs on these subjects. Maybe you love gardening or cooking or cake making. Do you have any hobbies? Interests? It needs to be something that you will be able to blog about consistently.
- Purchase a domain name. It will take you a while to find the perfect domain name. Take your time. DO NOT use free blog services such as blogspot or wordpress.com. It is best to do it yourself.
- Read, read, read. Read anything you can about blogging. Google it!
- Start blogging. Don’t worry if you have the ugliest blog design to start with. You WILL make changes as time goes on. The most important thing is to keep blogging. Try to write at least once a day.
- Don’t give up. It will take time to build readership to your blog.
One of the reasons I started this blog is to help others blog as well. Look for future articles all about blogging and tips to gain readership!