I want to be able to submit my posts to social media services such as Digg, Reddit and StumbleUpon and now I have found just the plugin to help me (and my readers) do so easily. The plugin is called “I Love Social Bookmarking” and was created by Aaron Russell. Verison 0.2.2 was recently released on October 28, 2007 and the following social media services sites are supported: Blinklist, Blogmarks, Digg, del.icio.us, Furl, Ma.gnolia, NewsVine, Reddit, StumbleUpon and Technorati.
Here is exactly how I installed and configured the plugin (you can see it working at the bottom of each post – “Share the Love”):
- Download and unzip file on local computer.
- FTP i-love-social-bookmarking folder (in its entirety) to wp-content/plugins/ directory on my server.
- In the WordPress menu, click on Plugins and then Activate the I Love Social Bookmarking plugin.
- In the WordPress menu, click on Options and you will see a new tab for I Love Social Bookmarking. All you customization can be done here.
- Choose automatic, if you want the plugin to automatically insert the drop down menu. Choose manual if you want to add the code to your template. I choose automatic.
- If you choose automatic and you want the menu to appear on each post, make sure that Home Page, Single Blog Post and Single Page are checked.
- Choose the services you want.
- Choose your display options. I choose the sites to be listed horizontally, you can also choose vertically. Plus, you can change the name of the title and colors as well.
It was easy and fun! If I run into any problems with it, I will let you know!